Monday, November 21, 2011

The Year of The Dragon

When I can’t sleep, I write.  So here I sit at my desktop computer at 2:35 AM. The Chinese Lunar Calendar states that this is the year of the Rabbit.  The year of my birth was the year of the Dragon.  I don't know why this is important at the moment, but it must have something to do with lack of sleep.

Rabbit or Dragon, this has been some year, and as pointed out by my cousin Lorraine, I’m counting the days to 2012 – a new year and new beginnings.  Speaking of counting the days, today makes the 323rd day of the year, whether consulting the Chinese calendar or the Gregorian calendar, most commonly referred to as the Western calendar.  Perhaps I should try hitting the pillow again and just leave the Chinese out of this.  But before I do, let me tell you about a recent experience. 

It was November 18Th, my birthday, and it started out with a bang.  I was fully aware on that day that I was definitely counting the days.


As with most days for me, they start by walking my two dogs.  On this particular morning, I had decided to drive to the beach for our walk, as both the dogs and I do get bored walking the same daily path. I had just parked my jeep near the road, gotten the dogs out and perhaps walked a foot or two when I heard a loud impact behind me.  Instantly, I jumped back, pulling the dogs with me.  As I turned around, I saw in the bright, blinding sunlight, a white truck sail into the car, ricochet off a tall palm tree, fly from one side of the road, and land on the front of my car on the other side of the road, facing the wrong way.  I am not making this up!  I couldn't believe that this was happening once again, another car accident, and within 10 days of the previous one; the one my husband suffered from.

Apparently, the young man that was driving the truck had been side-swiped by a speeding car and forced off the road.  The brilliant rays from the sun did not assist either driver in navigating their vehicles.  And, I was thinking that it being my birthday, the year of the Dragon and all, an allegedly good year, it was going to be an awesome day.  Yet, it could have been a lot worse and I did remember to thank my guardian angels for looking out for me. 

When I arrived home, I thought of how silly the birthday poem that I wrote was.  I am by far not a poet, and sometimes don’t even know if I am a writer, but reading the poem did make me forget cars and accidents, Dragons and Rabbits. It made my aging seem trivial and how I should thank my auspicious stars for my daily breath.  OK, I still don’t like this aging process and perhaps would like to have been born during one of the most recent years, perhaps the year of the Tiger or the Ox, but it is what it is.  So, long live the Dragon and her sleepless moods. 

Before I retire, yet once again, I’ll leave you with my little ditty on how I feel about aging, while I hopefully go on to dream about Tigers and Oxen’s and forget my fading youth:

My FACE is catching up with me.
I like not what I see.
I want the youthful look.
I crave the young familiar me.

My BONES are catching up to me.
Some surgeries are in the makes.
Oh, aches and pains, please let me be.
Return the young familiar me.

My WEIGHT is catching up to me.
The pounds keep piling on.
I juice, I walk - hell, I'm gluten free.
Please return the young familiar me.

EVERYTHING is catching up to me.
I’m really slowing down.
Let’s face it guys, it had to be -
It’s the end of young familiar me.  
                                                                       JL

No comments:

Post a Comment