Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Raking Leaves

Autumn is predictably my favorite month. I love the coolness in the air and the rustle of crunchy leaves under my toasty feet. I love inhaling deeply the alluring scent of cheerfully colored pompom marigolds; wearing warm jackets; and cozying up with a cuppa hot tea and a soft blanket. I even enjoy raking leaves, which in return blesses me with a sense of accomplishment. But, I can do without the guaranteed blisters, products of my hard pulls on the rake. There's too the pop-up garage sales and pumpkin picking that remain priceless memories shared with family and friends. In the Bahamas, the gifts of the season, although quite different, are also ubiquitous. But, not this year. Not for me that is.


If you've noticed, I haven't posted in over a month. My absence from posting has tempted me to change the name of this blog to: Jeralyn Stopped Writing, which is partially true.

I stopped writing on this blog due to a block. No, not the dreaded writers block, but life block. Actually, ever since August, speed bumps, red lights, stop signs, detours, hurdles and the like have impinged upon my smooth sailing status in life. However, I did manage to enter a 25 word writing contest, but was not one of the 10 voted upon to win. (There were over 4,000 entries, not to say that makes any difference.) I also submitted a 1,500 word short story; a later date promises the announcement of the winners. I missed the first deadline for a 4,000 word short story; attempted to meet the later deadline; had edited the story numerous times, but realized that it was totally horrible and not ready for print. It may have to stay put in the drawer a bit longer, or forever.

It doesn't matter to me hugely that my writing doesn't win. What matters is that I did it, and like raking leaves, a sense of accomplishment prevails. For me, it's more about getting the words down then getting the recognition, but I won't balk if someone - anyone says they like it!

At midnight, October 31st, National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) commences. I've decided to join the league of over 200,000 worldwide writers that will attempt to write-up to 50,000 words of a novel. That's 1,677 words per day, or 5 1/2 pages of - WHAT?  Not sure yet, but maybe if I rake some leaves, an idea will materialize along with the blisters and a sense of accomplishment.




No comments:

Post a Comment