Tuesday, November 19, 2013

A Long Way to Go

This Royal Palm tree sits majestically in front of a neighbor's house down the street. Notice the huge, green vines growing up the tree. I've often stopped to admire the intricate weaving of the vine, wondering how long it took to grow.


I liked the vine so much, I figured out a way to train one myself. I moved a vine that I had potted, closer to the Royal Palm in front of our house and directed the "creeper" towards the tree. It took months, but finally caught onto the prickly bark of the tree. I'm proud of its growth and that I was able to nurture it. I imagine it one day weaving up, stretching towards the coconuts and the blue Bahamas sky.

Just yesterday, I compared the growth of the vines on the trees, which reminded me of where I am with NaNoWriMo. I'm inching up, but not quite there.

The first few times I revisited my "novel" on NaNoWriMo, I got excited. Down on the lower bottom of the 50 pages, were numbers of great volume, such as today - 133,819. My total word count? No, just the amount of characters in the document. Bummer! However, I've been on par with the daily requirement of 1,667 words per day, until yesterday - my birthday. It's not that I partied till I dropped or anything like that, more so, the lack of sleep the night before.

I did some writing wee early this morning, but eventually stopped, closed my eyes and stretched the Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in my hand. I pictured the vine on my palm tree and thought of all the words I have left to write. I have a long way to go.

With 29,572 words logged in, that leaves 20,428 left to conjure up and write. And, with family arriving on Friday for a week - OMG, I have a long way to go.



1 comment:

  1. Don't feel too bad if you don't make the 50,000 words in time. You have come a long way and at the end of this challenge you will have the great part of, if not a whole, novel to polish up in readiness for submitting to a prospective publisher.

    ReplyDelete