Friday, April 4, 2014

Flying My NaNoWriMo Rebel Flag

I’m itching with poison ivy to share my Camp NaNoWriMo cabin status. Hold on - I never told you where I left off with November 2013 NaNoWriMo. Yikes! Let me wrap that all up now.


Those just popping in, NaNoWriMo is that fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to creative writing.” The goal is to write 50,000 words of a novel. I had reached 33,500, and then family visited. I thought I could swing it; however, I ended with only 35,301 words, or thereabout. Still better than not trying, and I didn't even blame the family!

Rebel Flag

November’s NaNoWriMo also brought out the “Rebel” in me; not following the criteria to the letter. 

I began with writing a memoir, not a novel (rebellion #1). Rather than delete the accumulated word count, I continued with a new story, and added those words to the memoir word count (rebellion#2). (Heck, I did all that writing; it had to count.) I also, in frustration, randomly hit the keyboard for a few paragraphs, adding gibberish to the count (rebellion#3). Let's face it; I am a rebel and raised a few (rebellion#4/5/6). Finally, at my age, I should-not-have-to follow any rules! (rebellion#7).

You know what? Think I’ll just keep you on the seat-of-your-pants and leave the cabin status for next time. After all, we’re roasting S’mores tonight, plus I have writing to do. 

Must be the rebel in me!


1 comment:

  1. You did well to get that far, Jeralyn. Good luck with the "camp"! It should give you lots of practice and experience, which can only be beneficial.

    ReplyDelete