Tuesday, November 4, 2014

NaNoWriMo and Abulia

I’m suffering from two lovely days here in The Bahamas. Suffering, since most of the time I complain about not being home in New York, enjoying family and four different seasons. Not today. No, today I'm quite happy to be where I am. The weather is just as I like it - windy and cool.


How could I not like it? The windows are fully open and a breeze flows, causing things to rattle, swing and sing. Palm tree branches are busy flapping melodically, while the high tide is topped with white choppy waves. Oh, what a glorious day! I am so blessed. I might just whistle while I write.

On days like these, I get concerned for tourists here for the weather. This is not The Bahamas they expected, not with the sand kicking up on the beach and the wind whipping about. Did they even pack sweaters? I'm sure if I look, I'll still see some brave tourists in skimpy suits sunning on the beach. They might even be swimming. Die hearts can, of course, be found anywhere. I'll tell you one thing: Even if I swim all year round in The Bahamas, you won't catch too many Bahamians in the water at this time of year; that’s for true!

All these thoughts are all blowing my way while I sit at my writing desk, facing the canal. With the sliding glass door open, all that separates me from outside is the mosquito screen. I inhale deeply. I so appreciate the cooler air, with the breeze now hitting my bare feet. Maybe it’s due to the screen and the implications of holding something back, but I find myself thinking of the starting gate at a race. Why is that? I'm not starting anything – not today, at least. Yes, I am writing this new post, but other than that – nothing else new. Hmmm. What could it be? NaNoWriMo, (National Novel Writing Month)? Even NaNo's not new; it started on November 1st when I couldn't decide – should I or shouldn't I? If I wait much longer, there's less chance of getting it all done in time. Ticktock, ticktock.

Wow, it just came to me. While on the phone this morning I told someone how indecisive I was about doing a certain thing. Now I realize: If nothing bad comes from deciding to do something, why not do it!

Now I've done it. I set myself up. Guess you think I'm going to dive in and write a 50,000 word novel this NaNoWriMo month. Guess again. Although nothing bad will come from it, I’m still indecisive. Maybe I'm kin to actor Jeff Bridges whose mom says he suffers from something called abulia - a difficulty in making decisions.

Come to think of it, I might sit here and enjoy the breeze a little longer. After that, who knows! 

Catch ya later.

(Thanks to Rolling Harbour Abaco for joining JeralynWrites :) 

2 comments:

  1. I'll take the breeze and the cool air in Bahamas - anything besides what we have at home. And, I remember you participated in that NaNo novel writing last year. Did you make your quota?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I remember correctly, I had about 35,000 to 37,000 words last year, but I haven't gone back to that story since. I ran out of writing time due to family visiting for a week. This year, I don't have any excuse other than abulia.

    ReplyDelete