Thursday, January 22, 2015

A Grateful Writer

Bah humbug on New Year's resolutions!

Resolutions are silly; for many, a setup for failure. Rather than fall into that fizzling trap, I thought about what I could accomplish this year that wouldn't fall off the cliff. Something that could grow daily and benefit all. Gratitude was my answer. I would give thanks.

I remembered Tony Robbins, the famous American life-coach and author had said, "When you are grateful, fear disappears and abundance appears." Abundance sounded good. Abundance looked good. If being grateful produced abundance, why not give thanks for all that there is? But how could I achieve this? 

I decided to nourish my growing need to give thanks and started an online page on raising gratitude. 

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/229542912228564173/

The page is a "closed group," for women only, by invitation. Besides posting gratitude, it's fun at times to read what others are grateful for. Some words of gratitude are of a serious nature, such as remembering the life of a lost loved one, while others are funny and upbeat as in being grateful for a smartphone. I tend to post thanks on a daily basis, even if it's just being grateful for a clean house. 

Recently, while sitting on the beach and catching the afternoon sun, I took out my little mini notebook and doodled about being a grateful writer. It turned into a silly poem, worthy enough for the gratitude page, but definitely not worthy of the ranks of Shakespeare or Yeats. I'll share it with you here, but remember - I am not a poet!

A Grateful Writer

I am a grateful writer, toting words wherever I go. 
I am a grateful writer, birthing characters and watching them grow. 
I am a grateful writer, spinning stories and seeing them flow.

I am a grateful writer, penning light and happy tales.
I am a grateful writer, balancing moods when all else fails.
I am a grateful writer, sitting on beaches or hoisting sails.

I am a grateful writer, knowing my words are sometimes read.
I am a grateful writer, reading comments on what I've said.
I am a grateful writer, discarding all for my comfy bed. 

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/229542912231209401/

I'm grateful to you for reading my blog. I'm even more grateful for comments left from near and far.

Namaste.

13 comments:

  1. Hi Jeralyn. Happy New Year! I like the gratitude idea. It sure does beat resolutions and comes back at ya with oodles of treasures. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy. Thanks for the greeting and same to you in this New Year. Yes, I think the gratitude thing far surpasses resolutions. If giving thanks comes back at me with treasures - great. I'm grateful that you read my blog and comment. All the best to you, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the idea! I'm IN! Grateful for the Gratitude page!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a lovely poem, Jeralyn! You need to find a market for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Fay, you always flatter the writer in me with your kind praise. Many thanks.

      Delete
  5. Cool post. Am grateful to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Jeralyn, I'll take gratitude over resolutions anytime. Resolutions suggest we're not as good enough. Gratitude brings joy. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna, and I do agree that gratitude far exceeds resolutions. Happy New Year as well.

      Delete
  7. Oh, I am such a grateful writer to have so many posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea Jeralyn. I am grateful for all I have and give thanks to the universe every day. By the way, a very nice poem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to read your comment, AuthorEvels. Glad you liked my silly grateful poem. Waiting for the announcement of your next interesting book.

    ReplyDelete