Monday, April 13, 2015

Dog Lover or Not

Been thinking for quite sometime about changing the focus of this blog. The thing is, I keep mentally changing the focus so often, by the time I get around to actually changing the focus, my focus is changed!  Of lately - in my mind only, the focus is: DOGS. Losing Lady Chee-Chee just recently, as I mentioned in my earlier post, has kept me on this focus - at least temporarily until my focus changes.

Last night found me squeezed into the comfy layout chair with my legs curled under me; a Kleenex box and tossed tissues nearby. In between sobs and blowing my sore nose, I read the final pages of Marley and Me by John Grogan. First published in 2005, I admit I'm a late bloomer in reading about Marley. Heck, I haven't even seen the movie starring Jennifer Aniston and Owen Wilson. And before I go on about Marley, I'll fess up: I still can't finish The Art of Racing in The Rain by Garth Stein. I mentioned this in my November 10th post entitled: A Good Beach Read. In both books, the dog eventually passes. Having a "special needs dog" at home, reading about pets dying wasn't something I was ready to deal with. I'm still not ready.

The thing about Marley and Me is - it's hilarious! Sure it's sad, hence the Kleenex box, but it's also so, so funny. And, being a dog lover, I'm prone to give books about dogs a 5 star rating, like I did with Grogan's book on Goodreads. All and all, this book was absolutely fab!! I never, ever laughed so much as I did while reading it. I don't think I've ever laughed out loud while reading any book period! It probably didn't hurt I've had similar dogs like good old Marley and therefore understood how destructive Marley was. On the other paw, I also understood how lovable he was and how much the family grieved when Marley passed. I grieved along with them while reading each sentencePerhaps too, I grieved over losing Chee-Chee, and maybe even for her predecessors, Annie and Boss who I am sure are all having a huge party up in Rainbow Bridge.

Marley and Me: An excellent, excellent book - dog lover or not.

2 comments:

  1. Jeralyn, Sorry to read about the loss of Chee-Chee, or, Lady Chee-Chee as in your book. She sounded like a lovely doggie. I've read Grogan's book and remember that his dog Marley was also afraid of thunder, just like CC. And, yes, I agree his is indeed a funny/sad story. I think you might be onto something writing about our four legged friends, but don't give up about writing about the Bahamas and all else. Find it all so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kathy. I try to write about too many things, I think. I'm just a greedy writer!

    ReplyDelete